OSWA 2014 Legislative Priorities
GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS COMMITTEE (GAC):
OSWA has a Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) who advises the Board on Legislative Priorities. During the legislative sessions the GAC holds by-monthly conference calls and the GAC and interested members receive Legislative Updates via email on issues of interest to OSWA. Rick Barnes is the chair of the GAC.
Roger Beyer, a small woodland owner from Clackamas County and a past state senator, is OSWA's lobbyist for the 2015 Legislative Session.
Special update reports are made available throughout the legislative session. For most recent Legislative Updates and upcoming events, click here.
At OSWA’s September 2014 Board meeting, the board approved OSWA's 2015 Legislative Priorities. The 2015 Legislative Session is a full session that will focus on State agency budgets and the ever increasing demand for school funding. With two consecutive high cost fire seasons, the issue of how to pay for fighting fires in Oregon will be an issue to watch. OSWA’s strategy will be to protect the funding we successfully lobbied for in 2013 and oppose unfair tax increases including any attempt to have landowners pay a larger portion of firefighting costs.
Consistent with past sessions OSWA will:
- Support legislation proposed by Oregon Forest Industries Council and other Natural resource partners when consistent with OSWA policies
- Secure adequate funding for OSU Forestry Extension and Oregon Department of Forestry
- Monitor all proposed legislation with potential to impact woodland owners in Oregon
Through collaboration with allied organizations, OSWA has had success in protecting the interests of small woodland owners.
Previous Years' Priority & Legislative Session Reports
- OSWA's 2015 Legislative Priorities have been UPDATED! These were approved by Board on September 26, 2014
- Please see our complete 2013 Legislative Priorities.
OSWA actively participates in each legislative session with a full time lobbyist to address issues important to small woodland owners. Roger Beyer, a small woodland owner from Clackamas County and a past state senator, was OSWA's' lobbyist for the 2012 Legislative Session. Roger provided reports throughout the legislative process. Go to the following links to see his report:
- 2014 Legislative Session Wrap Up by Roger Beyer
- OSWA 2012 Legislative Priorities, Adopted by Board November 15, 2011
- Final Report on 2011 Legislative Session
Oregon Legislative Update for OSWA Members, February 15th 2011
OSWA's Wildfire Reduction Act Bill
Reduces limit on forest patrol assessment rates for lands located east of summit of Cascade Mountains and certain other areas. Please read the entire Wildfire Reduction Act bill for more information. OSWA appreciates your support.
Each Legislative Session, OSWA activates a Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) to assist OSWA's' leadership and lobbyist in addressing issues important to OSWA members. Executive Committee member, Scott Hayes, is chairman of the GAC.